Due to the restrictive regulation on sulphur content, to the lack of fuel with low sulphur in the market (which prices increased) and to the need of restricting the SOx emissions caused by the oxidation of sulphur in fuel (also verified in shore industries), it was urgent to find a solution to this problem.
With this innovative solution, users can reduce the sulphur content of their fuels to levels allowed by the regulations at same time that it remains its desirable characteristics (thermal, physical and chemical).
HOW IS IT INSTALLED?
The process requires no modifications to the installations, since it can be installed “In-Line”.
It is also easily adapted to different production capacities and flow rates.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
The process takes into account the oxidation of sulphur species presented in fuel to oxides and peroxides that are easier to remove. The oxidation process occurs efficiently due to the presence of an oxidant produced in situ and do the effect of ultrasound system that create cavitation and promote the thermal ionic dissociation of the water presented in the fuel.
A phase separation step allows the remove the undesirable components from fuel (sulphones, that are Sulphur oxides and peroxides), obtaining in the end a treated fuel with low sulphur content.
TO WHO IS IT ADDRESSED TO?
It can be applied within to the industry sector, as an alternative to other conventional desulphurisation solutions, delivering greater economic, energetic, operational/safety and environmental advantages.
- Petroleum industry;
- Waste treatment and recovery of fuels;
- Fuel producers;
- Global industries that use Heavy Fuel in their activities and systems/installations.
STRENGTHS OF THIS INNOVATION
- Oxidant agent produced on the process. No need to add external compounds;
- Process does not require significant amounts of energy (low production cost);
- Reagents used are not expensive and easy to obtain;
- Uses low temperatures and low pressures (comparing to HDS for exemple).
- The developed process doesn’t present any harm in terms of storage and Handling;
- Reasonable operative conditions.
- Process compatible with low flow, allowing them to burn fuel with the appropriate content of S. By-products can be treated as oily residues by dedicated on-board systems and dispensed in the usual way.